9.27.2009

Jennifer's Body




My rating: 3 stars


((SPOILER ALERT))


I've officially christened this Fall's movie going season, and what better to kick it off than with a demonic Megan Fox? I expected this movie to be absolutely terrible, and it was... not bad. I mean, who doesn't love a bad horror movie? There was plenty of awesome zombie-esque killing going on, and the special effects were better than I've seen in this genre of horror in a while. 


The plot was a little loose, but that's to be expected. What I just didn't like about it was that everyone is so blase throughout the entire thing. The main character seems to be the only one concerned with the fact that people are dying, which makes you kind of disinvested in the story because she really has nothing to motivate her except for that everyone thinks she's crazy. I also did not understand Needy's approach to dealing with the fact that Jennifer's evil. If Jennifer still thinks they are best friends, wouldn't the one smart thing to do be to keep Chip close rather than break up with him because then Jennifer would not want to hurt Needy and go after another boy? For someone who was supposed to be a quirky geek, the protagonist wasn't very intelligent. Pretty much everyone knows that the approach to dealing with possessed people is to gain their trust, not push it away. 


Also, why didn't Jennifer just tell the guys she wasn't a virgin once she figured out what they were doing? That would seem like the logical thing to do. Then again, if that had happened, we wouldn't have a movie. 


So, basically, if you ignore the plot devices that don't make sense, this movie's pretty good. I enjoyed it as a horror movie and as a fun movie-going experience, but I don't know if I would want to rent this unless I was inebriated. Maybe if it was on the $1 Rental Rack. Maybe. But I would definitely have to be with a large group of people not taking it seriously at all. 


Then again, isn't that how most horror movies are? Superficial, yet still badass. 


Anyway, go see it for yourself, and if you have seen it, tell me what you think. 


Peace!


The Movie Mistress


No comments:

Post a Comment