11.17.2009

Love for All Ages? Or Just those Over Fifty?




I don't know about you, but most romantic comedies involving old people skeez me out a bit. I mean, do you remember About Schmidt? Not that that was a romantic comedy, but I never, ever want to see Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates in a hot tub together ever again. And then there was Last Chance Harvey, Nights in Rodanthe and Whatever Works (which skeezes me out even more because of the My Fair Lady complex). It's as if romantic comedies are moving to an older age gap. 



...a classic.




Maybe I'm just going crazy. But it just feels like my generation doesn't dig When Harry Met Sally. Which is sad, because it's a really good movie. It just feels like more effort is being put into the rom-coms for older generations these days. While It's Complicated looks really good, I still don't know how I feel about watching older people have sex. Maybe when I'm that age I'll feel differently, but for now they just remind me of my parents, which is fucking weird as shit. So while Hollywood is popping up with really creative romantic comedies for the baby boomers, my generation is stuck with 27 Dresses and Leap Year: formulated, by-the-book, and, well, boring. Really. I could have stopped watching The Accidental Husband (which went straight-to-video, in case you were wondering) at the beginning because I knew exactly what was going to happen. I honestly have no idea what will happen at the end of It's Complicated, the same way that no one could predict what happened at the end of My Best Friend's Wedding


All I'm saying is, just try, Hollywood! Try. You hit it on the nose with The Proposal. People my age dug it. We can appreciate chick flicks too if they start being good again. I don't want to be stuck watching people three times my age fall in love every time I want to be a fucking girl. Yes, romantic comedies are pretty predictable, but they shouldn't seem thrown together! 27 Dresses didn't even try to put in any original or realistic material. I found it so fucking boring. Seriously. 



...not something I really want to see...




This movie looks good. I'll go see it. I just wish I could see an ad for a movie like that involving people closer to my age. What do you think?


Peace!


The Movie Mistress


No comments:

Post a Comment