11.20.2009

Double Feature Friday- Memory, All Alone in the Moonlight...

Thanksgiving is about remembering the past and getting drunk to deal with your crazy family in the present. However, because I was going to use next week's DFF to talk about Turkey Day (or, for some of us, Tofurkey Day), this week we'll do films that showcase the next best thing to sharing old stories and yelling at Crazy Aunt Frieda for letting her dog shit in your house once again: memories. There are tons of films that use them. I'm pretty sure that once editing became a respected art with legit funding, the first idea that came to the ACEr's wonderful little heads was the idea of the flashback. Are you ready? Let's go back in time...


La Vie En Rose

This movie is the queen of jumping around from memory to memory so that you have no clue where the fuck Edith Piaf is in her life and yet still you're enraptured. It took me three times of watching to put together which fragments of her life go where, but I still enjoy it as much as I did the very first time I saw it. I even have the soundtrack. It's awesome. I consider this a flashback movie because of the way it's structured, beginning toward the end of her life and ending with a montage of scenes throughout the movie. It's great because rather than watching a biopic about Edith Piaf, it's like we're watching a biopic through the mind of Edith Piaf. We're in her memories. If you haven't ever seen it, stop reading my fucking blog and rent it NOW.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

How could I do a double feature about memories and not include this movie? It fucking blew my mind the first time I saw it, and I still love it to death. There is no other movie that depicts the idea of a soul mate better. Okay, it might not be better than What Dreams May Come, but it comes close. It brings a whole new meaning to "be careful what you wish for"- we may want to forget our bad memories, but in reality our memories make us who we are, the good and the bad, and you may think you want to have a clean slate and start anew but when you think about it, it's fucking terrifying. I love, love, love when the two main characters are running through memories trying to stay "alive" in his head. I also love that even after forgetting each other completely, Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are still meant to be together. Now everybody sigh for happy endings. 1...2....3.....

Peace!

The Movie Mistress

2 comments:

  1. Since Eternal Sunshine is probably my favorite film ever (subject to change), I am definitely gonna have to check out What Dreams May Come. I don't think I have even heard of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a movie from the 90s with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding, Jr. It's really different from Eternal Sunshine and much more dramatic/fantastical, but so fucking incredible. If you haven't seen it, you definitely should.

    ReplyDelete