11.27.2009

Double Feature Friday- Happy Thanksgiving!!

Because I was stuffing myself with tofurkey yesterday, I found it necessary to devote today's Double Feature to the most All-American holiday- one in which people surround, and plan everything around, and practically worship, FOOD. It took some thinking to scour Hollywood for movies that I've seen that have Thanksgiving involved, since most filmmakers just bypass it in order to capitalize on Christmas since December is a bigger moviegoing season than November. Anyway, after much deliberation, I came up with the following:



Molly's Pilgrim


Do you remember having to read this book in 4th grade? I totally do, and I also remember watching the movie over and over again because of how wonderful the message of the story was. It's one of those stories that keeps on being relevant even as the years go on. It's a short film, yes, but it counts in my book (it did win an Oscar for Best Live Action Short- and yes, I already knew that; I didn't just read the front of the box). If we are celebrating a holiday about being American every year, what better film to watch than one that reminds us that we all chose to call ourselves American because somewhere along the way, our families came from somewhere else? It's one of the most touching and realistic stories out there, and a good reminder that America is a melting pot of cultures. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, do so right fucking now. It will make you want to celebrate Thanksgiving even more than you already do.



Miracle on 34th St


I know that this film is largely considered a Christmas movie, but it does start with the Macy's Day Parade, which was yesterday. There's no competition between the original and the 1994 version, so I'm not going to even discuss which one I like better. What's great about this film is that it is about Thanksgiving, but it also takes the mentality that Thanksgiving is the start of the countdown to Christmas (which, for a lot of people, including my own family, is totally true). So it's a great movie to watch for Thanksgiving because you get to be reminded of what you're thankful for AND get excited for the holiday season. Plus, 6 year old Natalie Wood is fucking adorable (even if you're one of the people who happens to think the relationship between herself and Santa Claus is creepy... but let's not dwell on that for now). Overall, it's a wonderful movie that should become a tradition in someone's household, somewhere, sometime, at some point.


Peace!


The Movie Mistress




1 comment:

  1. A: Miracle on 34th always gets me feeling good and festive this time of year, even if we Canadians don't get the Thanksgiving/Christmas one-two punch that you, our lovely neighbours enjoy. Anyway - Miracle = Good call. (I even used a still from it two weeks back for my "Today I Feel" post...did ya see it?).

    B: Welcome to The LAMB!!! You'll meet a lot of cool cats this way, and probably pick up another reader or two

    C: I feel bad for not reading your stuff earlier. I noticed you started following my blog (a move I tend to immediately reciprocate), but somehow had a brain cramp when it came to finding yours. Sorry bout that! Anyway, I'm here now and can't wait to read more of your stuff. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete