10.30.2009

Double Feature Friday- Um, What Else?



Okay, so I am trying to get back in the swing of things. What better way to kick off my reintroduction to the Blogosphere than a Double Feature Friday about Horror Movies (it’s only natural- Halloween is tomorrow). I haven’t gotten a chance to see Zombieland yet, but I’m super jazzed, so let’s start with some older flicks. So here we go:





I know, I know, a lot of people thought this movie was a bad female-based remake to the Sixth Sense, but I actually found it to be legitimately scary. And they set up the characters in a way that the ending is unpredictable yet still makes perfect sense when you’re done watching. There aren’t a lot of movies out there that explain how ghosts are born, and this one does so in a way that is still hauntingly entertaining. Now, I don’t know how I would have felt had I seen the sixth sense before watching this. I might have found it predictable. But I still like this movie for its creep factor and for the fact that it shows that bad shit can happen to good people, even to kids. It’s… real, in a way that movies like Ghost and The Eye aren’t. Kudos to Nicole Kidman for playing a fucked up crazy woman!





Cult classic + zombies + weird, “realistic” ending = favorite Halloween movie to watch in my book. What else can I say about this movie except that it doesn’t try to “say” anything? There’s a zombie attack and it’s every man for himself, simple as that. The first time I saw this movie, it made me so angry because of how anti-climactic it was. I later came to realize, though, that that’s what makes it genius. Zombies can look like humans, and humans can look like zombies, and a policeman with a gun doesn’t know the difference. Sometimes, life just hands a you a shitty card, and even the survivors can’t survive. Hmm. Maybe there is a message to this after all. Anyway, this movie is brilliant.


Okay, I’ve said my piece. Now go, eat shit tons of candy and watch scary movies until your voice runs out from screaming. Oh, and if you’re into laughing about Halloween, check out my earlier post about horror films that are fucking hilarious.


Peace!


The Movie Mistress




1 comment:

  1. The others is one of the favorite psychological horror movies ever made. As the movie advances it ratchets up the tension, scattering red herrings on its way.

    ReplyDelete